Sunday, August 22, 2010

Air Conditioning

      After spending the day working in my classroom, appreciating a day off from the extreme heat we’ve been experiencing this summer, I still felt nauseous. I’m a wimp. I own that. I’m always hot. I spend the entire winter at school constantly pushing the override button on the thermostat that turns off the heat for two hours. I open my windows a crack, even if there is a blizzard outside. But I make do.
      My dad informed me that they are predicting an unusually hot September this year. I don’t know who “they” are, nor how accurate this prediction will be. It is making me realize the inequitable climate control installations between schools and classrooms. In one of my classes this summer, one of my fellow classmates teaches at the High School. Air conditioning came up when we were talking about human performance technology, and he was shocked to find out that there are schools without AC in Western Michigan, much less his own district. From what I know, both of our middle schools, both of our high schools, one of our elementary schools, and the administration building have AC. For the people working in those buildings, they simply don’t realize how miserable the rest of us are. They probably don’t even look at the weather forecast to determine how their week will go.
      It makes me wonder why. Some classrooms have window units when a student’s IEP requires it. It simply seems fair that I should be allowed to spend my own money to have one as well. I’d even be willing to pay to have it installed, and pay a monthly usage fee.
      Following are some anticipated responses:

1. Inequitable learning spaces.
      We already have that. Some schools and some classrooms have AC. Some classrooms are exceptionally hot, while others are able to gain a breeze. My gosh, in my building, there are at least 5 different classroom layouts that I’m aware of. Adding AC doesn’t change that.
2. Security Issue.
      There is another classroom in my building that has a window unit. There are classrooms in other buildings with window units. It’s not fair to claim it’s a security issue sometimes, and not other times. It either is or it isn’t. Besides, there are simple ways to lock the windows. And if that isn’t enough, the building has a motion sensor activated security system. I think we’re OK.
3. Cost.
      Again, I’m willing to pay for the unit, pay for the installation, and pay a monthly usage fee. I’m not asking the district to pay a penny for it. I willing to spend the money for my students’ and my comfort.
4. If you get one, everyone will want one.
      Wouldn’t that be great if every classroom in my building was climate controlled to a point where learning can occur every day, regardless of the outside temperature?
5. The building’s wiring can’t handle it.
      First, I’m only looking at putting an 8,000 BTU unit in the window. I’m not looking for a 65 degree classroom, it’d just be nice to take the edge off the heat. 8,000 BTU is small. Second, maybe it’s time the county comes out and inspects the building. I’m pretty sure having only one electrical outlet per wall (in a 32 ft by 32 ft room) is not up to code.
       In the end, students in my classroom will be able to function at an optimal level, even on the hottest days. Optimal human performance leads to optimal learning, and optimal test takings (i.e. MEAP). If I were allowed to pay out of pocket to improve the learning in my class, I would hope the district would allow it. In a recent study, an independent human performance technology firm did a study on the impact of air conditioning in an office environment. They concluded the amount of money a company saves by installing air conditioning pays itself over and over as human productivity increases dramatically in an air conditioned space.
      I’m a wimp. It’s worth a shot.

No comments: