Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Parent Volunteers

      This year I am determined to increase the amount of parent volunteers in the classroom. In the past, parents primarily helped out only for field trips, or occasionally for RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) parties. When I finally come across some last minute parent help need, it can't seem to find any help. Which makes me wonder, why can't I seem to get any help when I need it, yet always get 100% attendance at Parent-Teacher conferences? My hypothesis: 1. Parents sign up for PT Conferences way ahead of time, and have it set on their calendars weeks in advance. 2. Parents believe PT Conferences are important in the education of their child. 3. Parents are expected to sign up and to attend.
      Which begs the question, why can't  I achieve this with in classroom help? For one, when I need help, it's usually a quick note in a newsletter the week before. Also, posting a generic "Give me a call at school if you're interested in helping" isn't very direct. My plan is to get my ducks in a row and set up my parent volunteer opportunities before the school open house next week. That way parents can get it on the calendar. Also, while talking face-to-face with the parents, I might be more direct with getting sign-ups. It would also reassure those parents that don't think they know how to help that they, in fact, are capable.
      So now I need to brainstorm ways to get parents more involved. Here are a few ideas:

1. Writing Groups. (5 parents, once a week on the same day) During the summer institutes at Red Cedar Writing Project, one of the most impactful approaches was that of the writing group. We would meet and workshop pieces, asking for feedback, and building relationships. One thing I know I don't do enough of in writing is peer conferencing. I would like to teach the kids to effectively workshop pieces. I think small groups would be better than partnerships, since putting kids with partners always results in a few pairs that are not effective. Working in a small group, monitored or possibly facilitated by a parent would be helpful.

2. Book Clubs. (5 parents, once a week, staggered across the week) When I was student teaching, there was a weekly book club. There were 5 parents that came in on Monday mornings, took their group of kids around the building to read from their "book club book" and have discussions. It was very simple, but the kids absolutely looked forward to it every week.

3. Math assistant. (several parents, scheduled Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays) It would be nice to have a parent come in during math to help manage partner activities while I work with a small group.

I'm going to try to think of some more.

No comments: