Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Day Spent at School

      Wow. I smell, and I'm covered in hot glue "spider webs". After spending all day at school, lifting, moving, and generally being physically active, I smell (and in some ways feel) like I just finished running a marathon. It was one of those days where you just bang it out and make huge progress. And bang I did. My neck and feet hurt.
      After removing the 13 extra desks beyond the three extras I left in my room, and getting rid of all the old teachers' furniture, suddenly the room feels about twice as big. Some of the heavy lifting included a steel teacher desk, two 6 foot long tables, two tall file cabinets, and the 13 extra desks. I set up the student desks, my desk, and all of the extra tables. But what really made the difference was simply getting the blue background on all of the bulletin boards. I also put up many of the basic posters on the walls.
      Sitting at my desk, trying to ignore my smelly armpits, today was the first time I really started to feel good about the room. I have my head wrapped around what this room will be. I now know where everything goes. I know where the math supplies are stored. I know where the lunch choice board will be. I've reached the point where the room turned from just room 103 into my classroom, and it feels good. I also am excited that my room is as far as it is with still a week to go. I'm not sure I've ever been this ahead of the game.
      Now I am up to the point where I have to wait for other people. I don't like waiting. I have to wait for the teacher computer, printer, and telephone to be moved before I can set up the back corner of the room. I have to wait for the custodians to finish the tile part of the room before I can set up that part of the room. The biggest frustration is that I have to wait until office hours to print in color, since the office is locked. I still think that's weird, as back at Waukazoo teachers had keys to the office, and where welcome to come in at night and on the weekend to print and make copies.
      Now I'm rambling, so it's time for a shower, and then bed. The good news is, no teacher nightmares tonight. I'm feeling good about my room!

No comments: